Thursday, May 15, 2014

What you do (and don't) know ... part 3!

Share it Please
Today I have loved my job more than any other day.  Now don’t get me wrong – I absolutely LOVE what I do; and even on my worst days, I couldn’t imagine being anything else/doing anything else. But today it hit me that I really do love what I do.  If someone asked me to SHOW you how much I love someone/something, I couldn't.  How would I?  I can try to describe everything about it that is great, I could try to hug someone, but that doesn’t show LOVE, that just shows reasons that led to love.  So if you asked me to show you how I know I love what I do, I couldn’t, but I darn well will try.

 

What you do know:
Today was a great day.
 
What you don’t know:
So the kinder teachers, our literacy coach, and our AP are all doing a book study on the book Word Solvers by Michele Dufresne.  It is about making sense of letter sounds and building words and what not -- pretty much how to better our ways of teaching the kiddos how to read.  I led the discussion today and was more in my element than I have ever been (considering my "audience" was over the age of 10...).  I showed up with a half sheet 1-minute task to complete, and then followed it with a 30 minute Prezi (I love Prezis!), and then brought it all back to the task in the beginning.  When The 6 person audience applauded me at the end and said "Wow! You did great!", the rest of my day was set!  I was confident.  I was happy.  I was doing what I love, and I felt as though I had rocked out! So that was number one of happy today. Then came number two.  My babes have been working on phoneme segmentation (I say the word "cat" they tell me the sounds are "c"/"a"/"t"and they aren't allowed to see the word) ... and we have been struggling hardcore.  Well I did a mini lesson, gave some examples, felt like I was repeating myself, and then gave them some words to practice ... and they more than blew me out of the water!  One of my kiddos (who couldn't tell me A made the /"a"/ sound YESTERDAY) gave me the correct sounds on every. single. word. today! I was ECSTATIC! (I even tried to trick them with words that have "sh", "ch", "th", "wh", and "magic/silent e" words ...and they got them!) YAY! Numero tres: the kinder team met after school today. We compared our data to see where we needed to guide our instruction.  We are doing beyond what we ever could have imagined and are making GIANT steps! (1st grade teachers-we're trying!) Good things come in three, right? =D
 
 
What you do know:
I don't watch much television.
 
What you don't know:
When asked the common question "What is your favorite TV show?" I normally don't have an answer.  I love watching some shows (Criminal Minds, The Voice, Golden Girls, Hollywood Game Night) ...BUT I don't watch them religiously.  I was never a big TV watcher because I was always busy and rarely home long enough to watch anything (nor did I have the patience to sit still long enough), but here recently I'm addicted. What show you might ask? The news. (WXII to be exact!)  I wake up in the morning and it's on in the background while I'm getting ready. I get home and get things ready for the night and next day, and it's on in the background. I'm addicted.  Can't get enough.  I have no idea why.  Normally it's full of negativity.  I started watching it in the mornings to find out what the weather was going to be like for the day so that I could dress accordingly, and then became semi-attached to the stories. Now don't get me wrong. Some of the things on the news do not interest me one bit, BUT some things are really informative.  And as a teacher, it's good to know what's going on out there so that I can answer a question one of the kiddos might have.  I decided to make a very mature decision last week and go to work when I knew the WXII crew was at the local park all day. That was a tough decision, but I decided to be responsible. Yup, it's official. I'm growing up. I no longer rush home to watch Rocket Power or Lizzy McGuire, I rush home to listen to Wanda Starks and wake up early so I can get the D-L from Austin Caveness. Hello adulthood. (hello adult bills and adult responsibilities too =/)
 
 
What you do know:
We all want to be rich.
 
What you don't know:
We have heard time and time (and time and time and time) again that money is not necessarily what makes someone rich.  Friendships, relationships, an education, things we cherish are what make us "rich" because that's what we invest in.  I 100% agree with this, but how do I explain that I want to look rich? I do have relationships, friendships, strong faith, things that I cherish and people I have invested in that no doubtedly make me a "rich" person. But how do I look rich? How do I get to the point of a stranger looking on from the outside that thinks to themselves "She's got it all together"? Well, I guess the answer is: I don't.  I don't have it all together.  I would like to portray myself as having it all together, but in all reality I don't.  I would like to think I am a fairly smart person, but if I walk into a situation with no confidence, then it doesn't matter how much I know, I am automatically the weakest link.  I would like to think that  someone I have never met can look at me at any given moment and think "She has got it going on!", but in all reality, I more than likely have glue in my hair, my shoes probably have paint on them, my hair is probably in a pony tail, and the day's makeup is slowly but surely fading (and it may have been left over from the day before). I would like to think that I'm not just treading water as the person who falls asleep on top of the covers at 10pm with work clothes still on after a long day at two jobs. I'd like to think I can keep afloat without looking disheveled, but let's be real ... sometimes I feel as if I would lose my head if it weren't attached. But it doesn't matter whether or not I put two different shoes on, if I notice my watch battery is dead halfway through the day, or if I have yesterday's makeup on, because I am rich indeed.  I have a God who loves me.  I have a family and friends who would do anything for me.  I have 20 babies who hang onto every word I say.  And I have an education that will open doors for me that I don't even know exist.  So to that stranger looking in: I may be treading water, but I'm sure you'll need a swim lesson or two at some point in your life.
 
What you do know:
I love the news.
 
What you ...probably know:
It's almost time for the news to come on. So I'm going to wrap things up for the night and get to watching my favorite TV show! You rock for reading this :) ta-ta-for-now!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Followers

Blogger templates

Follow The Author