Tuesday, May 6, 2014

What you do (and don't) know!

Share it Please
     I'm sitting on the corner of "should I start my own blog (again)?" and "should I just keep following a very relatable blog of a friend?", when all of a sudden the car--no, the truck--that drove through the puddle of "just do it" splashes me in the face giving me just the answer! The friend's blog: Lucy's Inspiration.  The truck splashing me in the face: Sarah Kay's Inspiration.  So there it is.  My inspiration.  My motivation.  Now my part: dedication.  Here we go!

What you do know:
I teach kindergarten.

What you don't know:
My "class" is not a just group of students eager to learn, we are a family.  When I refer to any of my kiddos, they are my babies.  The foundation of the rest of one's education? Kindergarten.  You want to be a doctor? Great! Who taught you how to write? (even though it's not too legible once you become a doctor) It was your kindergarten teacher.  You want to be an NFL player? Awesome! Who taught you how to read that contract you had to sign?  Your kindergarten teacher. You want to be an architect? Wonderful! Who taught you those shapes and the basics of measuring that you'll be needing? Yep, your kindergarten teacher.  But I am so much more than a reading, writing, know your shapes person.  I am a whole lot of "blow your nose in this", "tie your shoes so you don't fall", "please shut the door when you go to the bathroom", "why are you walking down the stairs backwards" with a touch of math, reading, writing, science, and social studies here and there.  I personally think the best thing about sarcasm with six-year-olds, is the fact that they don't quite understand it.  So when the boy who reads on a second grade level in kindergarten asks me what he should do with the strawberries I just handed him, and I reply with "I don't know, stare at it until it starts talking to you I guess", and he sits at his desk puzzled and begins to eat his strawberries, it's simply comic relief.  But when the same smart boy who reads on a second grade level in kindergarten starts to get upset because "mom doesn't have the money for the field trip", somehow $12 magically shows up.  And even though his teacher may have had to skip out on her fancy coffee for a few days, she wouldn't miss seeing him smile and getting to learn with his friends for anything in the world. And no, we do not take naps.  We do not have time for that.  Asking a kindergarten teacher how long they actually teach after naptime, recess, and lunch is actually pretty offensive! (and the answer to the question is: 0 min for naptime, 15 minutes for lunch - 10of which they are getting through the line, and 15 for recess; so my "breaks" consist of 30 minutes of non-instructional time and a 2 minute bathroom break -- IF I'm lucky!)  Oh! I forgot to mention ... did you know that someone I once called a "best friend" told me that I would never be able to teach kindergarten?  She told me that I didn't have the personality, patience, or skill set to teach kindergarteners.  And did you also know that (my first year teaching) out of my class of 19 students, 15 of them are leaving me in just a few short weeks reading ON or ABOVE grade level? And that the same 19 students came in knowing a few letter names, but NO letter sounds? And the 4 that aren't there yet made improvement since day 1?  And did you also know that a student of mine told me he wanted to be a kindergarten teacher when he grows up because "you taught me everything I know and I love coming to school!"? Yeah, when people try to put me down, it's more than bittersweet to more than prove them wrong!



What you do know:
I went to a Division II school.

What you don't know:
I turned down full rides to Division I schools and chose to attend a school that was not only in Forbes (again), but used MY FACE in the published article! Forbes loves Catawba  What you may look at face value would be a small school who isn't as good as D1 schools.  What you are missing is the fact that I chose to have the community feel throughout my four years at Catawba.  What you're also missing is the fact that while I played volleyball at a DII school, every spring we gave other D1 schools a run for their money and even took home the victory.  How?  Because we had heart.  Because we had fun.  And because we didn't let the "small school" mentality hold us back.  We had something to prove.  And we did. Time and time again.  I bet you also didn't know that on top of being a student athlete, I not only majored in Elementary Education, but I also minored in Psychology, was a leader for both Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Kappa Delta Pi (an honor society for education), was a West Scholar (which consisted of an application and interview process AND provided many opportunities outside of NC), was a member of three honor societies, was a Head Resident Advisor, and had a part time job.  So when you want to throw in my face that you had to work hard for all that you've accomplished, trust me when I say I've walked a few miles in your shoes. Choosing a small school was important to me because I wanted to be successful in my field and I sought out the best education with the perfect classroom sizes and most amazing professors for me.  So please, when you turn your nose up at me because I went to a DII school, I still earned my degree while juggling this and that for years. And I can't forget to mention that Catawba led me to some amazing friendships that will forever be a part of who I am.  Also, (not that I'm political in any way, shape, or form), but the governor of North Carolina is also a Catawba alum ... which holds my alma mater to some sort of high standard, right?



What you do know:
I'm painfully shy reserved.

What you don't know:
When asked if I could have any profession in the world other than my current one, my answer? A motivational speaker. Yep, this gal-who is terrified of getting in front of a group of people who are over the age of ten-has a life goal of being in front of a large crowd making people laugh and making people fall in love with why they do what they do all over again.  I have noticed that a few of my babies are very similar to me with their "please don't call on me because I'm afraid I'm wrong" faces.  My solution? Letting them share their ideas with a partner FIRST, which gives them confidence and/or a different perspective on the assignment.  So here is my "sharing ideas" portion that will [hopefully] lead to fulfilling a life goal.  I also have a goal of finishing a triathlon, backpacking through Europe, and publishing a book (I have no idea what about yet) -- but those will have to wait for now.


What you do know:
It's almost 1am.

What you don't know:
It's about 4 hours past my bedtime, so I'm going to call it quits for the night.  Thank you times a million for taking time out of your day to listen to me rant.  There will be more to come, I promise, just not at 1am.  So ta-ta-for-now my friends!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Followers

Blogger templates

Follow The Author