Wednesday, February 17, 2016

FIRE!

Share it Please
What is your first reaction when you see fire? Well, I think it depends on the circumstance if you ask me. If I see a flame on a candle, I would not act the same as if I were in my house cooking and the stove caught on fire. Honestly, I would try to put it out, then I would run away from it. Why would I react this way? Because fire spreads and if I am not quick to be cautious, I can do a multitude of damage.

As Christ followers, we tend to use the phrase "on fire for God" and sing songs that say "Lord, I'm running to your heart with a soul on fire". ON FIRE! Waaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiittttttttt a minute! FIRE!!!! STOP, DROP, AND ROLL! The world sees fire, spiritual fire, as a threat to the way they want to have control over their lives, so they try to put it out, and when they can't, they run from it. Our jobs, our relationships, money, "religion" all try to make us stop what we are doing for the kingdom, drop our preparation in the word and in worship, and roll over as if we give up.

Most of us, whether we grew up in church or not, have heard "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine." What is that mysterious light you talk about? FIRE! Hebrews 12:29 says: For our God is a consuming fire.      If we take the verse from Hebrews and replace the word "fire" with "God" in the popular children's church song, you get: "This God of mine, I'm going to let Him shine, let Him shine, let Him shine, let Him shine".

Let HIM shine in all that we do. I had a friend following me home one day to see if the way they were going was quicker than this route I was familiar with. My friend said to me, "Don't worry, I can keep up." (Implying speed and yellow lights were irrelevant) When I replied, "Trust me, I drive the speed limit. 4 over if I'm feeling brave." She immediately said, "Way to be spiritual in all that you do, even driving!"  At first, I was offended. Very offended actually. But then I realized that I should be letting God shine through me in all that I do. Grocery shopping, driving, worshiping, praying, teaching, talking ... literally everything I do should be to glorify God.

Being on fire for God is an amazing thing, but just be aware your fire is meant to spread. Your fire will also have many attempts to be put out, so prepare yourself by staying in the word ("the word" = His promises = the Bible) and praying. Pray that unwanted fires in your life be put out immediately. Pray that you can show the love of God to everyone you come in contact with.

Stop being afraid of what others think. Drop the negative "what if" thoughts, and just let God breathe through every moment of each day. And roll into the pool of mercy and grace God, our fire, is constantly providing for us.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Followers

Blogger templates

Follow The Author