Wednesday, April 22, 2015

"that kid"

Share it Please
To my teacher friends, 

Take a minute and think about "that kid". You know, the one who grinds your gears because he refuses to try. What about the boy who is defiant and thinks it's funny? How about the girl who is just (for a lack of better words) plain mean? Yeah, "that kid" (let's be real ... this is a plural thing -- KIDS) These are the tiny humans that make me want to cry during the day and the voices I hear as I'm restless and trying to go to sleep each night. Describe them in one word -- no adjectives please! Describe them in one NOUN. Girl would be one. Boy could be another. Person is a definite. Human is a good one. And what do humans have? Feelings? Wants? Needs? Oftentimes, when our wants/needs aren't being met, our feelings are portrayed the only way we know how. What about the parent that honestly scares you with their not-so-timid personality? I'll be honest and let you know I've found myself taking my "your parent hurt my feelings" out on a student/a part of my family/a human being. People are also notorious for making mistakes, so when I was conscious of the fact I was getting irritated with the child for something beyond their control, my attitude changed. I started intentionally calling on him for positive things and soon the other children in the class saw him in a different light and then he began to bloom. I'm struggling though. Defiance gets to me like no other! I'm so frustrated ... because I care! I guess I should be more worried if it didn't effect me at all.

My first go-to when I'm feeling frustrated is "patience". While patience is good, and very much needed, there's got to be something more. Galatians 6:9 says, "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up."  Basically, as hard as it is to point out the good in the most frustrating moments, who's to say they won't eventually get it? Get what? The seed you are planting, that's what. You know what's really humbling? Apologizing to a five-year-old. Sitting on my knees, I sat eye to eye with a defiant little human, who also has feelings. It's my responsibility to show God's love and ask for his guidance (and yes, patience) in trialing times. It's also my responsibility to thank God for the good times.  And when you think about it, those hard times make the great times so much sweeter.

You were chosen.  You were chosen by God almighty to love on little people. They will get the academic stuff (or they won't), but they'll really get how you make them feel (good and bad). I challenge you to pray over "those kids" and I challenge you to make them feel good before they go home. A simple "bye, love you, see you tomorrow" as they're stepping on the bus. A comment about their really cool shirt (because sometimes compliments are a stretch if we're being real). A high five for the 5 seconds they were on task. We can't begin to put ourselves in their shoes for many reasons, but we can choose to either leave the laces untied, or tie them neatly for the .5 seconds until they're falling down again. I challenge you to see the good in every hard situation and I challenge you to really rely on God for the strength we need when we are weary.

Chris Tomlin's song, Everlasting God, says: You're the defender of the weak, You comfort those in need, You lift us up on wings like eagles.... because You do not grow weak or weary ... BECAUSE HE DOES NOT GROW WEAK OR WEARY ... because we are teachers, we are conquerors, we are children of God, we are human, and we do grow weak and weary because we care. Fully rely on our God above, because He's strong.


Sincerely,
your teacher friend in Christ who's feeling the end of the year struggles

No comments :

Post a Comment

Followers

Blogger templates

Follow The Author